Anastasia Island is a must-see destination when on vacation in the St. Augustine area. This barrier island lies just east of the city and is a 14-mile long island that is on average about a mile in width. Bordered by the Matanzas River on the east and the Atlantic Ocean on the right, this small island contains some of the best beaches found in St. Augustine. Anastasia Island shares in the rich and varied history that this area holds. There are many attractions, shops, and restaurants to spend the day exploring here. A visit to Anastasia Island is a great way to get out of the more crowded St. Augustine downtown for a day.
Let our St. Augustine lodging be the perfect place to escape to this season! Our intimate bed and breakfast are centrally located within walking distance to many of the restaurants, historic sites, museums, and shops near the historic district this city is well-known for. Our distinctive inn is just the place you need for a great Florida getaway.
At our casual, elegant, and historic bed and breakfast we offer you unique guest rooms that each vary in size and arrangements so as to make your stay even more special and catered to you. You’ll enjoy a full gourmet breakfast as well as many other free amenities that will enhance your vacation to St. Augustine. If you want the perfect place for a Florida getaway this season, book your stay with us today!
Things to do on Anastasia Island
No trip to St. Augustine is complete without a visit to Anastasia Island. Known for its gorgeous and relaxing beaches, this island is a great way to separate yourself away from the crowds for a bit. As early as 1586 Spaniards built a watchtower near the inlet here to spy on approaching ships. People later were attracted to the island because of the beautiful and picturesque beaches found here. Today Anastasia Island remains a constant destination for both visitors and locals. If you are coming out to St. Augustine for vacation, be sure to not miss a day on the island. Here are 5 of our favorite things to do on Anastasia Island.
- A trademark of Anastasia Island is the St. Augustine Lighthouse and Marine Museum. The lighthouse serves as an educational museum where you can view the many exhibits in the keeper’s house and 3 other historic structures, walk the picturesque grounds, and walk up the 219 steps to the top of the lighthouse for spectacular views of Matanzas Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. Tours are available every day and there are daily demos all about lighthouses, boat building, and archaeology.
- Fort Matanzas National Monument is a great place on Anastasia Island to see more of the history that makes up this unique area. The fort was built in 1742 in order to defend the city from increasing British attacks. You’ll see similarities between Fort Matanzas and the Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine in their construction. Both are made of coquina, a naturally occurring stone made of shells. There are frequent reenactments and living history demos here as well as nature trails to explore.
- Anastasia State Park features 4 miles of white quartz sand beaches to relax on. There are plenty of things to do here at one of Florida’s favorite parks. Do some birdwatching here as this state park is located on the Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail where you can see around 200 different species. Anastasia State Park is also great for biking, swimming, fishing, and surfing. Rent a kayak or stand-up paddleboard and head for adventure.
- A memorable thing to do while you are visiting Anastasia Island is check out the St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park. This is one of the oldest attractions in the area, opening up in 1893. This is the only place in the world where you can see every living species of alligator, crocodile, caiman, and gharial.
- Check out St. Augustine Beach on Anastasia Island. Here you’ll find seaside restaurants, shops, and St. John’s County Ocean Pier Park. Head to the beach for some relaxation. You can take a walk along the shore or enjoy the view as you sit in your beach chair. The hard-packed sand makes a great space for some bike riding.
The Best St. Augustine Lodging
Let our charming Florida bed and breakfast be the perfect place to relax and unwind at the end of the day of explorations of St. Augustine and Anastasia Island. At our historical inn, you will get a great night’s sleep in your casual and elegant guest rooms. Each room is different in arrangements, decor, and size, so choose the accommodations that will best suit your needs for the perfect vacation. Some of the rooms have two-person jetted tubs and private balconies.
Amenities offered to all guests to enhance your stay include plush robes, decanters of cream sherry in your room, fresh flowers, and wine glasses, to name a few. If you are looking for the best St. Augustine lodging that is a perfect escape this season, book your stay with us today!