For outdoor lovers, there’s an excellent selection of Florida State Parks near St. Augustine to explore during your time in the nation’s oldest city. Of course, the most popular and closest option is Anastasia State Park, located on a peninsula of Anastasia Island with pristine white sand, tidal marshes, and ancient dunes. There are also a handful of beautiful state parks near St. Augustine for a lovely outing in the sunshine for a walk, bike ride, or leisurely picnic.
Before you start packing your itinerary with outdoor adventures, you’ll want to secure your lodging. Our St. Augustine Bed and Breakfast in the historic downtown district is the ideal place. Our charming early 1900s Inn offers intimate guest suites, a fantastic gourmet breakfast each morning, and the best hospitality in Florida. You’ll be in the ultimate location to head to the beach, check out the nearby St. Augustine restaurants and bars, and relax in paradise. Join us in Florida and book your next getaway today!
Head to these State Parks Near St. Augustine
Florida State Parks are beautiful protected natural areas and some of the best places to immerse yourself in this tropical paradise we call home. Here are five state parks near St. Augustine to add to your itinerary during your trip to Florida.
- Anastasia Island State Park: As the most popular and accessible park in St. Augustine, we always suggest that our guests head out to Anastasia Island for a day trip. Walk the white sandy beaches and dunes, explore the tidal marsh covered in shore birds, and hike the Ancient Dunes Nature Trail. Anastasia Island is a part of the Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail, so expect to be wowed by the resident wildlife.
- Fort Mose Historic State Park: About 10 minutes from our St. Augustine B&B, this historical park area is dedicated to the history of the first legally sanctioned free African settlement in what would become the United States. For those who appreciate Florida’s complicated history, this is a great choice of the state parks near St. Augustine for a visit!
- Matanzas State Forest: This area has the last remaining undisturbed salt marsh within the Guana-Tolomato-Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve. It’s a lovely space for bike riding, horseback riding, and wildlife viewing—all with conservation in mind. Keep your eyes peeled for songbirds, wading marsh birds, bald eagles, deer, otter, turkey, hogs, and gopher tortoises.
- Faver-Dykes State Park: Located on Pellicer Creek, this is one of the state parks near St.Augustine that’s a popular spot for canoeing and kayaking. More than 100 native bird species call this area home, so bring your binoculars and sit back and relax under the towering longleaf pine trees.
- Washington Oaks Gardens State Park: This is one of the gardens and state parks near St. Augustine that is a must-do! It’s about a half-hour drive from the historic district, but it’s well worth the scenic car ride along the Palm Coast. You’ll find stunning gardens at the park with native and non-native plants (don’t miss the rose garden), and the beach line is covered with unique coquina rock formations to explore.
One of the Best St. Augustine Bed and Breakfasts
After a day exploring the Florida State Parks near St. Augustine, you’ll love heading back to our Inn. Staying with our talented and warm staff at Casa de Suenos beats any traditional hotel experience any day. Not only will you feel completely pampered and welcomed, but you’ll feel the stress just melt away the minute you arrive. You’ll enjoy the most restful nights of sleep in our quiet, peaceful guest rooms and awake to piping hot, brewed coffee and baked goods for the best morning.